Dan Pilkington has 15 years of experience representing individuals, businesses, and governmental entities in civil litigation matters. He focuses his practice on litigation and mediation in the areas of insurance defense, civil rights, discrimination, wrongful discharge, contract disputes, land use and zoning and personal injury. He is also experienced in governmental tort law, environmental law, and cannabis law.
Mr. Pilkington is an experienced trial litigator who handles complex litigation in both state and federal courts. He frequently represents clients before the Tennessee Court of Appeals and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. Whenever possible, he also counsels clients on litigation avoidance strategies.
He is a native of East Tennessee. He and his wife, two children, and two dogs live on their farm in East Knox County.
Awards + Recognition
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Memberships + Associations
- Knoxville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- J.D., University of Tennessee College of Law, Knoxville, TN, 2005
- B.B.A, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN, 2002
- Tennessee, 2005
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Tennessee, 2006
- United States District Court, Middle District of Tennessee, 2015
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Tennessee, 2006
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2008
Straser v. City of Athens (2020)
Secured decision in Sixth Circuit affirming grant of summary judgment in case involving religious discrimination and ADA claims.
Chuck’s Package Store v. City of Morristown (2018)
Prevailed in the Tennessee Supreme Court securing reversal of intermediate appellate court and trial court in high value municipal taxation case.
Schmitt v. City of East Ridge (2019)
Obtained summary judgment in United States District Court in highly charged law enforcement deadly use of force matter.
LaFollette v. City of Gatlinburg (2012)
United States District Court granted summary judgment in employment discrimination matter involving ADA and age discrimination claims.